Jan 18, 2014

Christmas Movie Marathon, Day 29 — Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)

It is really tempting to just type, "DUH," and publish this post.





















I don't want to go on and on about how Harry Potter affected my life or whatever, because almost every kid in my generation who read the books could tell you the same story. For me, it was my first real fandom that I got to be involved in. I mean, I didn't write fan-fiction or anything. (Trivia: The only fan-fiction I've ever read was Ricky Ullman from the Disney show Phil of the Future fan-fiction, cause he is so fine and I googled him a lot as an adolescent girl who had nothing better to do with her summer days pre-license.) The series was something that my whole family was involved in. My dad never read the books, but he would always go see the movies with us. My mom and sister actually read most of the books before I even started the first one (they weren't all out yet.. oh how I remember the anticipation!) and they bullied me to read them, too. It was kind of one of those things where I knew I was going to read it and probably love it, but I just wasn't in the mood to start that emotional investment right away. Everyone was like, "I know you'll just love it" etc., and I knew I would, too, I just wasn't ready to start it.

The same damn thing is happening with me and Game of Thrones/Breaking Bad/Mad Men right now! A  lot of people I know have been telling me to watch them, and it's not that I don't want to or think I won't like them, I just need to do it on my own time. I'm distracted enough from my work and goals, trust me.


















I feel like Christmas in this movie is so sweet and memorable because we are experiencing the story through Harry's eyes. We see his cousin's birthday at the beginning of the movie, which was extravagant to say the least. Can you imagine what Christmas at the Dursley house is like? It's nothing for him. In fact, it was probably one of the worst days of his year, because he didn't know what it could be. When he celebrates Christmas at Hogwarts, he finally has a home where he feels accepted, a family that basically takes him in, best friends, and presents under the tree! I love Harry so much and even thinking about it now, it's hard not to get a lump in my throat when I think of him finally getting what he has deserved in life from the beginning. It's really satisfying.



















Also, in this movie we figure out that HOGWARTS IS BEAUTIFUL. I remember seeing the footage of the Great Hall for the first time after reading the books and it was just breathtaking and better than I had imagined. All dressed up for Christmas it is even better. (But does beg the question of freedom of religion in Hogwarts and the wizarding world. Do they have religion? Who knows.)

Anyway, I KNOW you all have seen this movie and at one time worshipped Harry Potter, so I don't need to drone on and on about how wonderful it is and how heart-warming Harry's first Christmas is. I really miss watching these movies. I think that means I should have a marathon? Yes.


It's Levi-OH-sa, not Levio-SAH,
Stephanie

No comments:

Post a Comment